The Community Engagement Specialist, under direct supervision, represents HART and serves as liaison with business, civic, and community organizations. The position assures delivery of quality customer service, engages in outreach and awareness initiatives, and assists in creating and implementing programs that promote the organization’s image in a positive and community-oriented way.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Represents HART to various business and civic organizations to enhance the image of the Authority; carries out public relations activities to enhance the image of the Authority among, the business community and the general public.
- Establishes outreach targets for new and sustaining relationships, meets reporting requirements, and assists in coordinating HART sponsorships of community events. Assists with implementing the HART Ambassador program to increase grassroots outreach activities.
- Assists with HART internal diversity programs to increase awareness of diverse backgrounds and partners with Human Resources on programs as needed.
- Assists in planning workshops, conferences, and special events
- Makes presentations to community organizations and interested groups about HART.
- Supports HART participation in community events such as speaking engagements and info tables; schedules outreach events; schedules and confirms staffing for events; organizes collateral to be distributed at events; staff’s info tables and supports speaking engagements when required; reports outcomes after event.
- Develops relationships within identified targeted opportunity markets; enhances HART presence in these identified communities by attending meetings and scheduling presentations
- Coordinates special services request process for special events and extra service requests implementation of approved special services. This includes HART and TECO Line Streetcar.
- Follows through with customer, coordinates and fills out forms and completes calendar appointments and reporting.
- Assists with the distribution of public information to community locations and ridership development initiatives to enhance public awareness and understanding of transit services.
- Collaborates with department colleagues. , including department interns.
- Provides translation services on behalf of Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority, to include review documents and translate them word-for-word, as needed. May also be responsible for revising previous translated documents to reflect current policies or other information changes.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum: High School Diploma and five (5) years of related experience.
- Preferred: Associates degree from an accredited educational institution and three (3) years of related field experience in community relations, special events, or public transit. Bilingual strongly preferred. Strong knowledge of Hillsborough County and experience with HART service and transportation issue is desirable.
- Or, an equivalent combination of related experience, training, and education necessary to perform successfully in the role.
Machines, Tools, & Equipment Used:
- Ability to operate small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems, as well as a computer for both data entry, word processing, and/or accounting purposes.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License or the ability to obtain within in 10 days of hire or moving to the State of Florida.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Public transportation, transit service
- Geographical area of Hillsborough county; HART services, schedules and routes.
- Rules, regulations, procedures and functions of the Authority.
- Standard office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Microsoft Office 365 including Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word.
- Sales, social media, public relations and marketing techniques.
- Principles and techniques of public outreach and participation programs
- Communication techniques, including written, visual, and public speaking
- Event planning, execution and coordination.
- Basic project management techniques
- Ability to deliver outstanding customer service
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to develop communication materials and presentations.
- Ability to create and maintain mailing lists and other types of databases.
- Ability to make presentations and interact positively with a variety of personalities, internally and externally.
- Ability to follow directions, exercise sound professional judgment, and achieve program objectives.
- Ability to work under stress and interruptions.
- Ability to be a flexible, effective team player.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to organize, track and report department metrics
- Ability to organize, analyze, interpret and clearly explain operational/technical policy information in simple terms.
- Ability to follow established safety and security procedures.