Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organization, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are building a team to provide world-class innovative, creative and efficient business services to our Firm and clients. As an innovative hub connected with the Firm’s offices globally, Baker McKenzie’s Tampa Center will provide all aspects of business support for the Firm and its global clients in the areas of Alternative Legal Services, Finance, Technology, Knowledge, Operations, Business Development, Marketing and Communications, and People.
Our clients are facing more competition and challenges, which demands faster, commercially sound responses, more competitive prices, better quality, continuous innovation and higher levels of legal and business knowledge. The Tampa Center will help us continue to deliver precisely that, by centralizing many of our services in an appealing market.
To support the Manager, New Business Intake to effectively supervise the New Business Intake (NBI) team and operations; provide an efficient and effective service to In-Market personnel, including Firm Partners and offices when opening new and existing client registrations and matters; provide guidance to Partners to ensure compliance with ethical and legal duties to avoid conflicts of interest and in meeting professional responsibility obligations.
To supervise a number of NBI staff all based in the Tampa Center; ensure all team members perform to the highest level and adhere to Firm and NBI policies and procedures.
- Provide support to the Firm, Partners and offices with regard to the new business intake process and conflict of interest analysis, to ensure that the Firm does not accept unworthy clients
- Review of New Business Intake Requests (NBIRs) and Linked Matter Requests (LMRs) for accuracy and completeness, ensuring all required fields are populated, appropriate supporting documentation has been included and all text box information is valid and complete
- Review of Engagement or Assignment Letters ensuring compliance with Firm guidelines, correlation to the information submitted on the New Business Report and adherence to the Firm’s guidelines on timely registration of clients and matters
- Ensure Standard Terms of Engagement are applied to all client engagements and, where applicable, exceptions to Standard Terms of Engagement are tracked and recorded accordingly in Intapp Terms of Business
- Understand the Outside Counsel Guidelines process and collaborate with relevant Subject Matter Experts and team members responsible for the service
- Provision of advice, mentoring and training on compliance with relevant laws, including Anti-Terrorist Financing/Anti-Money Laundering/Know Your Client issues, NBI and Firm policies and procedures
- Work with the Manager, New Business Intake to implement quality checks and ensure all team members receive constructive feedback, with a view to continuous improvement and excellent service delivery
- Performance Management responsibilities are an important aspect of the role; hold regular one to one meetings with team members and contribute towards performance management; work with peers and the Manager, New Business Intake to ensure objectives, benchmarks and performance expectations are aligned across the department and are consistently applied
- Provide training that supports continuous development
- Support Coordinators and Analysts in their roles and support departmental performance and success through technical and critical skills training; identify training needs and work with the team to ensure they have the training and support required to perform competently in their roles
- Responsible for personnel and administrative matters, including but not limited to resourcing, overtime, attendance and staff training; coordinate assignments, compile and develop operational reporting and other administrative duties
- Collaborate with Management and their counterparts across other Centers to deliver team projects and initiatives that are aligned with and contribute towards departmental objectives.
Key Skills and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Some experience of working in a professional services environment with a focus on client onboarding, conflict analysis, compliance, Risk or AML/KYC
- Supervisory experience
- Expertise in performing detailed analysis in a financial or law-related institution
- Knowledge of US Anti-Terrorist Financing/AML/KYC and OFAC experience preferable
- Exceptional problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Proven ability to multi-task and work well under pressure, prioritize workloads and work to tight deadlines
- Highly self-motivated and proactive approach.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people – regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age – to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.