Hot Job of the Day!
Moffitt Cancer Center is hiring a Medical Writer/Editor!
Job Details: Moffitt Cancer Center is internationally recognized for our focus on personalized cancer care and translational research. The mission of Moffitt is clear, focused, and fully stated in nine words, To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. With a tradition of excellence that began with the first patient admission in 1986, dedicated Moffitt physicians, scientists, and staff members have remained committed to excellence in an atmosphere characterized by kindness, caring, and hope.
Medical Writer/Editor – Clinical Science Department
- This position supports assigned investigator(s) with comprehensive scientific editing of research publications, peer-reviewed grant proposals, and clinical trials. Duties involve shaping study drafts to publication readiness, including substantive editing and rewriting for structure, consistency, logical organization, and coherence; eliminating wordiness; correcting language issues; eliminating spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors; checking tables and figures against statements in text; and preparing manuscripts to conform to appropriate journal specifications, including formatting bibliography, formatting and preparing graphics, and identifying missing components.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have thorough knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling and the AMA Manual of Style. Ideally, they will have completed AMWA’s Essential Skills Certificate.
- Have strong oral and written communication skills and exercise attention to detail
- Have previous experience and familiarity with scientific publication and editing processes ( 5 years), PubMed searches, and NIH grant applications
- Be Board of Editor in the Life Sciences (BELS) certified or Medical Writer Certified (MWC)
- Have demonstrated efficiency with office organization, procedures, and protocols and proficiency in managing multiple projects simultaneously and independently with limited supervision
- Have expertise with Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Power Point, EndNote), graphics packages, and Adobe in a PC environment
- Be familiar with IMRAD and the structure of a scientific journal article of the original research type
- Be able to work collaboratively with scientific experts
- Be able to work independently
- This position also involves performing editing, writing, and copyediting functions with grant applications, including multi-PI peer-reviewed grants (for example, SPORE and CCSG grants) and other written deliverables (abstracts, protocols, posters, letters) as needed to further the goals of the cancer center.
Credentials and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of experience in publishing and editing
- BELS or MWC certification and/or AMWA Essential Skills certificate are preferred
- Experience with research grants is preferred (editing a plus)
- Science or oncology background preferred
Equal Employment OpportunityMoffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence
Tampa Bay has the hottest job market in the state, which means that job you want is probably posted right now. You won’t know the possibilities unless you look.