Hot Job of the Day!
The Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corporation is hiring a Controller!
Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corporation
Reports to: President & CEO
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Summary of Responsibilities
The Controller reports directly to the CEO and works closely with the senior management team (SMT) at
THEDC. The Controller will oversee all financial, accounting and some human resources activities with
responsibilities for budget management, financial analysis, forecasting, accounts payable, accounts
receivable and financial reporting. Key areas within the human resources department will also be
managed by the Controller, including policy and procedure compliance and ongoing maintenance of HR
practices. This position includes but is not limited to the following duties:
• Monitors the financial performance of the company
• Prepares monthly and annual financial statements
• Provides SMT with periodic financial metrics/reports
• Provides monthly financial analysis and explanation of budget variances to Pres/CEO and
Finance & Audit Committee
• Reviews all check requests to ensure proper account coding, substantiation and accuracy
• Ensures accurate bookkeeping and adherence to internal controls policy
• Performs all controllership functions, including monitoring expenses, cash flow and accounts
receivable. Review all expense reports and check requests for propriety and substantiation
• Enters all check requests in accounting software
• Prepares check disbursements for signature by appropriate signer and remits payments as
• Reconciles bank statements and submits to CEO for review
• Prepares firm operating and capital budgets; directs spending of approved budgeted items
• Develops and maintains control over purchasing of equipment and supplies
• Acts as liaison with banks
• Oversees collection of overdue accounts
• Acts as liaison with Secretary/Treasurer of the board
• Leads Finance & Audit Committee meetings.
• Monitors Investor A/R and ensures timely billing
• Manages contractual, financial and compliance relationship with Hillsborough County and
the City of Tampa
• Ensures timely reporting and billing to Hillsborough County and the City of Tampa
• Provides financial updates to the Executive Committee and Board
• Manages the vendor relationship with our IT company
• Standardizes office procedures, systems and forms. Recommends system revisions and
implements new forms and procedures as necessary.
• Researches and recommends purchase, lease or rental of necessary office equipment.
Negotiates contracts with vendors.
• Stays abreast of trends in office automation and recommends improvements to existing
systems to ensure the utilization of the most cost-effective equipment and software.
• Evaluates and reviews coverage comparisons for all insurance annually. Recommends
• Manages consulting engagements as needed.
• Develops and executes recruitment plan for all positions
• Assists management in interviewing prospective staff members for all positions
• Designs, implements and monitors personnel evaluation system
• Coordinates professional development planning and budgeting for entire organization
• Maintains personnel manual in accordance with applicable employment laws and guidelines
• Updates personnel policies
• Prepares/coordinates preparation of job descriptions
• Communicates and interprets policies to all employ Assists in the development of training
programs and career paths for all staff
• Directs new employee orientation with checklist and training programs
• Recommends revisions to maintain competitive compensation and benefits
package. Negotiates contracts with benefit vendors to provide maximum benefits at lowest
• Prepares offer letters and provides appropriate new hire onboarding documents
• Convene staff meetings
• Serve as primary point of contact for employee relations matters, constructively resolving
individual and work team conflicts in a timely manner
• Supervises office maintenance to achieve a neat, clean, professional appearance
• Supervises selection, purchase, and coordination of office furniture and accessories
• Analyzes space utilization and recommends revisions as needed; plans and directs office
moves and renovations
• Serves as liaison with building maintenance contractors; responsible for physical operation
of the facility
Preferred Qualifications and Competencies
The ideal candidate for the Controller position should possess sound non-profit accounting skills and be a
smart, strategic thinker who has an eye for detail, is organized, and can manage multiple complex
programs simultaneously. This entails the ability to prioritize and manage work and trade-offs against
critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment.
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
• Minimum BS/BA Degree in Finance, Business (Masters preferred).
• 7 – 10 years professional experience, with a track record of success; minimum of 5 years of
management experience required, preferably in an association, non-profit organization or
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong knowledge of strategic planning principles.
• Strong research and analytical skills (quantitative and qualitative).
• Highly organized and able to perform under tight time constraints.
• Understand fair employment practices.
• Demonstrated experience and current knowledge and human resources and administration.
• High integrity and ethical commitment as part of personal identity
• Occasional travel for meetings
• Some evenings and weekends may be required
• Work under and maintain confidentiality
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or managers
to perform other activities and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of
the tasks listed in this job description.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a
contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time for
Please send resumes and inquiries to: THouston@TampaEDC.com
Tampa Bay has the hottest job market in the state, which means that job you want is probably posted right now. You won’t know the possibilities unless you look.
Check out our job search page to find more jobs: makeittampabay.com/JOBS