Hot Job of the Day!
The Florida Aquarium is hiring a Director of Communications!
Director of Communications
Full Time – ExemptFr/Md-Lvl Off & MgrsTampa, FL, US
ID : 1056
Responsible for the development, implementation and coordination of all Aquarium communications efforts. Works with the Vice President of External Relations in implementation of all communications strategies, tactics, negotiations, programs and subsequent analysis and ROI. Responsible for communication budget management. Ensures The Florida Aquarium has consistent brand positioning, a strong brand image and exceeds revenue and attendance goals. Supports fundraising, membership, sales, education and other revenue center efforts. Dedicated to promoting and supporting the aquarium’s mission, vision, values and conservation initiatives.
Essential Position Functions
- Work with Vice President of External Relations to develop and implement a communications plan that includes goals, objectives, strategies and schedules for all aspects of marketing and communications.
- Assists with all aspects of FLAQ’s communication strategies including creative development, production and media planning.
- Assists with managing the advertising agency, providing them with strategic input and voice in all campaigns and media plans.
- Manage media relationships on a local, regional, national and international level
- Monitor and maintain media contacts
- messages, including communications across all supporting departments, e.g. staff communications
- Creates and maintains internal and external relationships and programs with media, organizations and community leaders, and local personalities media, sports, politics, etc.
- Acts as direct supervisor of Digital Media Manager and Video Production Specialist.
- Works to insure all PR, social media, membership and sales programs are aligned and integrated with the same brand message and voice.
- Provides communication support and for other departments including education, husbandry, marine operations and development to insure their messaging needs are met.
- Assists in utilizing input and insight from guest research, consumer reviews and visitor interactions to continually refine message and voice. Possess an understanding of the FLAQ visitor and target audience to know what drives brand awareness, image and demand.
- Manages all media development and execution
- Prepares, creates and formats various reports as required
- Insures all promotional and media agreements are timed and tracked with necessary back-up documentation
- Interacts with vendors, donors, members, applicants, guests and board members as required
- Becomes familiar with the Aquarium’s exhibits
- Ensures customers external/internal have been identified and their requirements are met
- Delivers extraordinary customer service to all aquarium guests and internal customers
- Embraces and lives by FLAQ’s Vision, Mission, and Values
- Accountable for ensuring consistent positioning across all departments and in all communication channels. Ensure messaging is integrated including website and digital content, publications, blogs, traditional and social media, e-mail communications and advertising.
- Ensure that marketing and communications are aligned with and support the Aquarium’s mission, vision, values and conservation initiatives.
- Develop and execute communication plans and strategies for The Florida Aquarium Center for Conservation, core conservation initiatives as well as conservation partnerships and alliances.
- Provide strong, consistent and inspired leadership to the marketing and communications teams.
- Identify, build and manage key relationships with public relations firms, vendors, designers, and research firms to leverage resources. Work in coordination with the Aquarium’s leadership team to assure messaging support for fundraising, education, conservation programs and other revenue efforts.
- Develop and manage cooperative strategies and alliances with industry and promotional partners.
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness of marketing and communications initiatives and adjust plans and budgets as needed.
- Work with Vice President of External Relations to develop and manage marketing and communications budgets.
- Serve as a member of the Aquarium’s Senior Leadership Team.
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by the COO and/or CEO.
Education and Experience:
- 4 Year degree required, prefereably in marketing, communications, journalism or related discipline
- Minimum seven years of marketing and communications experience required.
- Minimum two years of personnel management experience required.
- Aquarium/zoo, theme park, attraction or tourism experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software Word Excel, Power Point, Outlook required
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign software preferred
- Knowledge of CRM preferred Altru, Razors Edge, Tessitura
Skills and Competencies:
- Must be very innovative, motivated, creative and possess the ability to present a vision and build consensus.
- Strong interpersonal and management skills with the ability to interact positively at all levels within the organization, community and with business and political leaders.
- Non-profit experience a plus.
- Must be a team player with the ability to motivate others.
- Possess a sense of urgency and a strong orientation for achieving results.
- Must be hands-on and comfortable doing tactical work.
- Customer Service Orientation — Listening and understanding the customer both internal and external and anticipating and evaluating the customer’s needs; making the customer’s satisfaction a high priority in all areas on responsibility
- Teamwork — Supporting, facilitating, and participating in activities that promote team effectiveness; demonstrating sensitivity for the feelings and needs of team members and supporting team goals.
- Communication oral and written — Effectively expressing ideas verbally and non-verbally and actively listening to individuals and groups; preparing and focusing presentations to the characteristics and needs of the audience; expressing ideas clearly and concisely in written form, through memoranda, letters, reports, and other documents.
- Planning and Organizing — Establishing a course of action with specific long-range goals for the aquarium; setting priorities among competing requirements and allocating resources in the most efficient and effective way; developing contingency plans that participate changes in the work environment.
- Integrity/Trust — Maintaining social, ethical, and organizational values and norms; building trust and confidence with the staff and with internal and external customers; respecting the confidentiality of personal and proprietary information.
- Follow-up — Institutes methods for monitoring people and projects
- Initiative — Taking actions to achieve goals; self-starting and proactive; asserting oneself to support others in the achievement of their goals; originating action rather than responding only to the actions of others; anticipating the needs of both internal and external constituencies.
Typical Physical Requirements
- Sitting 6 hours per day
- Standing 1 hour per day
- Walking 1 hour per day
- Bending/Stooping — Occasionally
- Squatting — Occasionally
- Climbing stairs — Occasionally
- Reaching above shoulders — Occasionally
- Kneeling — Occasionally
- Carrying up to 25 lbs. — Occasionally
- Lifting up to 25 lbs. — Occasionally
- Using hands for repetitive movements — Both
- Typing on a computer keyboard
- Viewing a computer screen for extended periods
- Excellent vision for proofing and detail work
- Coping with demands stresses that are associated with the job and/or the work environment so that acceptable levels of performance and overall contribution are maintained
- More than normal talking
- More than normal talking on telephone
- Ability to travel car as needed — locally and/or nationally
- Ability to travel air as needed
- Flexibility in working weekends, evenings and holidays