Department: Economic Development
Position: Director, Community Development
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Economic Development
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Summary of Responsibilities
The Director of Community Development will implement a marketing and sales strategy focused on the development of underserved areas of Hillsborough County. In this role, the Director will use their advanced knowledge of development programs, tools, and processes toward increasing the social impact of the organization’s efforts. The Director will aggressively market Hillsborough County with a specific focus on advantages provided by CRAs, Opportunity Zones, HUB Zones and other unique areas to investors, developers, and business prospects on a national and sometimes international level. The Director will achieve their goals by successfully closing opportunities through the coordination of efforts by our community’s government, business, academic and other economic development partners. This position will report to the
SVP of Economic Development towards the organization’s successful achievement of its strategic placemaking through inclusive development goals and objectives.
• Develop and implement an aggressive marketing and sales strategy to identify development prospects including out of market and in-market outreach and activities.
• Serve as EDC’s main point of contact for all developer inquiries and municipal and county development departments.
• Work closely with all EDC departments to support community development efforts with research, marketing, sales tools, and information.
• Develop a and implement a prospect and project management process.
• Effectively match prospects with development opportunities and programs available in Hillsborough County.
• Effectively coordinate the efforts of economic development partners from all sectors towards achievement of goals.
• Stay apprised of national, state, regional, and local trends in development and placemaking that would enhance strategic performance and sales development.
• Suggest the development of new tools and processes that can drive the community development objectives of the organization.
Preferred Qualifications and Competencies
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Real Estate, Economic Development, Public Administration, Planning, or a related field is required, Master’s degree preferred.
• A minimum of five years’ prior economic development, community development, urban planning, and/or real estate development experience.
• Have an in-depth knowledge of CRAs, Opportunity Zones, HUB Zones, and others and other special districts
• In-depth knowledge of public and private development financing tools and incentives.
• Strong knowledge of development policy at the national, state, and local levels.
• Strong analytical skills with ability to be a self-starter.
• Must work well in a rapidly changing environment and within tight deadlines.
• Must possess the ability to make data-driven decisions.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are required, with an ability to express ideas clearly, concisely, and effectively.
• Experience in public speaking. Have ability to research, organize, analyze, verify, and present information.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 applications.
• Must possess strong interpersonal relationship skills, with a demonstrated ability to work
collaboratively and effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
• Experience developing and making sales presentations, providing prospect client services, and simultaneously managing multiple projects.
• Occasional travel for meetings, trade shows, seminars, etc.
• Some evenings and weekends may be required.
• Work under and maintain confidentiality.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time for any reason. All applicants for this position are subject to pre-employment drug and background screenings.