Purpose of the Position:
The Communications Specialist will help to produce and distribute original content to build and reinforce UMA’s reputation both internally and externally. The Communications Specialist will collaborate with and support the Senior Manager, Communications with a primary focus on the strategic planning, production, and distribution of communications to UMA’s team members. The Communications Specialist will oversee communications projects, including making decisions about content format and placement, assigning components to creative team members and managing projects from start to completion with a responsibility for meeting objectives and deadlines. The Communications Specialist will also work closely with UMA’s Director, Communications and Public Relations, Chief Marketing Officer, members of the Marketing Department and other stakeholders across departments to help advance UMA’s mission and values through communications.
The Communications Specialist reports to the Senior Manager, Communications.
- Lead end-to-end planning and production of content for internal emails and newsletters, writing announcements and stories, compiling imagery and graphics, formatting layout and supporting distribution. Get to know all areas of the institution and build sources throughout the organization to help “stay in the loop” and garner story ideas..
- Identify, select and produce content and communications that demonstrate UMA’s mission, vision and values, customizing content as needed to best resonate with various audience groups.
- Support and occasionally lead management and publication of UMA’s intranet website, posting stories, organizing content, setting up event registrations and making decisions about how to prioritize content to achieve key objectives.
- Plan and produce basic graphics and videos as needed to communicate UMA messages in rich media and engaging formats.
- Create user polls, virtual events, user-generated content opportunities and other methods to strategically foster two-way or multi-directional communication internally.
- Contribute to strategic planning and implementation for key communications campaigns.
- Write press releases and articles to support UMA’s external communications.
- Work with SMEs across the institution to write and publish articles, blog posts, and develop presentations for conferences.
- Document student, alumni, staff, and employer testimonials.
- Oversee communications projects and campaigns, collaborating with the Creative team to develop advanced infographics, fact sheets, collateral, presentations and materials when needed.
- Rapidly gain working knowledge of the higher education industry and nonprofit communication landscapes.
Support Institutional Initiatives
- Keep current on institutional goals, objectives, and progress
- Engage in institutional sponsored activities and initiatives as appropriate
- Lead with courage in support of change initiatives that impact organization
- Manages and assists in coordinating efforts between departments within UMA
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, Florida Commission for Independent Education (CIE), and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
Work Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or Journalism
- Minimum of two years’ experience working full-time in Communications or Marketing, with preference given to experience in a regulated field (Healthcare, Financial Services, Energy, Government)
- Familiarity with intranet design; content and graphic posting
- Familiarity with email newsletter publishing platforms such as MailChimp, Bananatag, etc.
- Proficient with SharePoint and Office 365 applications as a Content Management System (CMS)
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other business tools such as Skype and Microsoft Teams
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge in writing, corporate communications and digital publishing with at least an intermediate understanding of multimedia content forms (e.g., graphics, video, audio, etc.)
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong to advanced writing and editing skills, including AP Style, and web copy best practices
- Able to professionally communicate in verbal and written English
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team, building relationships with other team members throughout the department and organization
- Ability to independently meet deadlines, manage time and organize end-to-end deliverable processes
- Ability to plan and manage projects, provide direction to others and ensure on-time completion to meet key project or organizational objectives
- Ability to present and express ideas and information clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to audience, whether verbal or written
- Basic video editing and graphic design
- Comfort trying and learning new technologies
- Able to support a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Project management software familiarity
- Office Environment in Tampa or able to work remotely from a home office if needed
- Some travel required which may require driving – Valid Driver’s License required
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer
- Requires ability to travel
- Requires occasional bending, stooping and squatting
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 20 lbs.